In the Loop Editor
Twelve long years have passed (13 if you count kindergarten) since the Class of 2015 took their first walk in down the halls of Grenada Elementary School. This week, many of these same students will take a final walk down the halls of Grenada High School as they prepare to graduate Friday evening. Speeches will be written, a few tears will be shed, and lots of smiles and congratulations will be given and received. A high school diploma is more important than ever in today’s world, and these students have spent the past 12 years making the grade to ensure their spot in this year’s graduation processional.
Many important school events have transpired for these students since the Class of 2015 began their educational journey - events like attending Stuffee’s birthday party at GES, performing experiments in the Discovery Lab at GUES, and attending Prom and Homecoming at GHS. Other personal milestones occurring during the past 12 – 13 years may have included a first date, getting a driver’s license, and going out on the weekends with friends without parent supervision.
Many important world-wide events also occurred while these students gained their education at the Grenada School District. Some of these memorable events included:
• 2003 – Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates upon re-entry into the atmosphere; the U.S. Department of Homeland Security officially began operation
• 2004 – Spirit, NASA Mars Rover lands on Mars
• 2005 – Pope John Paul II dies, Benedict XVI becomes the new Pope
• 2006 – Twitter is launched; Saddam Hussein is executed
• 2007 – Harry Potter, Order of the Phoenix movie is released
• 2008 – Barak Obama is nominated as a Presidential candidate
• 2009 – Barak Obama is elected as the first African-American United States President
• 2010 – Simon Cowell leaves American Idol
• 2011 – Kate Middleton marries Prince William of Great Britain
• 2012 – Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, dies
• 2013 – Sony launches the Playstation Four; the first early signs of the Ebola epidemic become apparent
• 2014 – Seattle Seahawks win the first Super Bowl in the history of the team franchise; Maya Angelou dies.
• 2015 – Class of 2015 graduates!
Commencement exercises for the seniors of Grenada High School take place this Friday, May 22, 2015, at the Grenada Charger Stadium. Gates open at 5:30. ___________seniors are scheduled to walk the field at 7:00p.m. The Grenada School District would like to remind all those attending the ceremony to please be respectful of the importance of the occasion. Attendees should be in their seats by 7:00p.m. as the gates will close at this time and not reopen until the ceremony has ended. No shouting, screaming, or loud outbursts will be tolerated. Any person(s) making such an outburst will be escorted from the stadium and issued a citation by a member of the Grenada Police Department.
Congratulations to the Class of 2015 on your graduation. Your hard work and dedication has paid off. It’s time for you to enter the world as an adult and find your way. We know you will be successful in whatever field or path you choose.
Look ahead and never look back;
keep your focus and stay on track.
Your time to shine has now arrived;
reap the rewards for which you’ve strived.
Make your mark and make it count;
there is no obstacle you can’t surmount!