In the Loop Editor
Second Semester for Seniors
Grenada School District students, faculty, and administration returned to school last week after a Christmas break that flew by in the blink of an eye. And just like tha - the second semester of the 2017 – 2018 school year began. For underclassmen, the second semester means that the school year is halfway over and summer is right around the corner. For seniors, it means the beginning of the end – their last semester as a high school student. While seniors may feel thate graduation is still eons away, time will pass by quicker than they can even imagine.
During this last semester of high school, many important deadlines loom on the horizon for these upcoming graduates. Many will be so caught up in the day to day activities of high school and the excitement of senior year, that they may forget to pass along these important dates to their parents. To help these parents frantically trying to keep up with the fast-paced life of their senior, here are a few important dates to keep in mind:
• Complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) enrollment for scholarship eligibility (all seniors need to complete this important form)
• Deadline to purchase a yearbook: January 31 (yearbooks may be purchased at GHS or online at www. jostensyearbooks.com)
• Deadline to order cap and gown: March 9
• Prom: April 14 (subject to change)
o Ticket price: $30; price will increase to $40 after Spring Break. Prom date tickets are $10 unless GHS senior.
• Deadline to purchase a graduation DVD: April 30 (see Mrs. Raper at GHS)
• Graduation Practice : May 22, 23, 24 Graduation: May 25
• Senior Slideshow: May 22 Deadline to turn in pictures for senior slideshow: May 2
• ACT Dates: April 14 (Register by March 9); June 9 (Register by May 4), July 14 (register by June 15)
• AP Exam Schedule:
o English Literature and Composition: May 9
o U.S. Government and Politics: May 10
o Biology: May 14
o Calculus: May 15
The final semester of high school is not only filled with events and deadlines, it can also be full of stress. Don't let the stress diminish your excitement and enjoyment of your child's senior year. If you have questions about schedules, deadlines, or events your senior may be involved in, call the Grenada High School office for more information. Senior year should be one to look back on the memories made – not the memories you missed!